Provost Course Dreamweaver Template
The template for module web pages has been created as a Dreamweaver
template. This is intended to help keep the HTML in pages within a
course consistent by limiting page edits to certain sections of the page
(editable regions). If you make changes to the template .dwt file,
Dreamweaver automatically updates all the pages that are based on it
with those changes and leaves any existing content in editable regions.
About Dreamweaver Templates
- Always edit pages in Dreamweaver - Dreamweaver adds
special comments in the html code for the template and in new pages.
Other editors like Notepad++ may change these tags, so avoid using them.
- Don't mess with the Templates folder - Dreamweaver template files are saved in the Templates folder in the root of the site. Do not move, delete, or rename the Template folder or this will break everything! (You can rename or delete individual template files)
- You can only edit the Header and Content editable regions - Any changes outside those sections have to be made to the templates.dwt file, but please get approval before doing so. (This is to maintain a consistent template across courses)
- Rename folders and files in Dreamweaver - Dreamweaver should automatically update any links in the site.
Finding the Template Files
Before opening Dreamweaver, you should have a renamed copy of the _SampleCourseFolder already in the SharedDrive\_Projects_ folder. (See Setting up a New Provost Course**)
This folder contains the web_content folder Templates folder and sample module files.
Setting up Dreamweaver
Defining the local site
In Dreamweaver's menu, Site > New Site...
In the Site Definition Window, keep the defaults and change the following:
- Site Name: name of the course (Example: VME6934 Marine Wildlife)
- Local root folder: for now the path to the web_content
folder in the Project folder. NOTE: There is a bug in the Browse
feature, so make sure the web_content folder name is on the end of the
Defining the Remote Site
To be able to upload to and download from the course in E-Learning, set up the WebDAV connection information.
Click on the Remote Info Category in the Site Definition window.
- Access: WebDAV
- URL: The path to the folder in the E-Learning course. (Find this in the course file manager)
- Login: Gatorlink username
- Password: Gatorlink password
- Select Automatically upload file to server on save
- Click the OK button to close the Site Definition window.
Creating a new Page
To use the template in a new page, do not copy and paste other html files. This may break links to the template, so follow the instructions below.
In the Dreamweaver menu, File > New.
In the New Document window, choose Page from Template.
Select the template name, then click the Create button.
Changing the Page Title
Find the title field at the top of the workspace.
Type the text that will appear in the <title> tag. Include
the module name and class name. (Example: Marine Wildlife - Manatees)
Hit the Enter key
Changing the Page's ID
The ID attribute in the
body tag determines which header graphic in the template CSS is displayed and the page's color scheme. The
body tag is in the uneditable part of the template but its ID attribute is editable.
- In the menu, Modify > Template Properties
- For Page ID, click on the field, then type in the module id for the page.
- For home pages, type home
- For video pages, type video
- For other pages, type modules
- Click OK